MASERU- Health Minister, Semano Sekatle says his ministry has launched investigations into the deaths of five people from Leribe, alleged to have died from Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccination.
“The government of Lesotho through the National Expert Committee on AEFIs (Adverse Effects Following Immunization) and with the support of WHO and partners, called a committee of international experts to support our investigation into the matter. The team has been on the ground reviewing epidemiological fats and investigating,” Sekatle told the press on Thursday.
He however said it was in rare cases that adverse events following vaccination were reported, and so far more than 400 billion people had safely been administered the vaccine globally, “and the benefits of protecting people from severe illness or death from Covid-19 outweigh any potential risks.
“For this reason the government of Lesotho will continue vaccinating people in all districts and plans to reach remote areas are in place,” Sekatle said.
He however mentioned it was normal for mild side effects to be experienced as that only means that the body is developing protection against the virus.
Among the side effects he listed could be experienced are a headache, tiredness, sore arm and a mild fever, of which he said are easily manageable through rest and sufficient fluids intake.
Sekatle ensured the public that the ministry will be closely monitoring the administration of the vaccine so as to identify and respond to any safety issues that might arise.
Sekatle passed his condolences to the bereaved families.